Thursday, February 15, 2007

Arrival

The guy at the immigration desk at the airport just waved me through into Australia. No questions, no confusion, no paperwork…that’s it. I’m in. Just like that.

Leaving the UK had been tough enough – what with all the security restrictions as well as saying goodbye to all my friends. Not wanting to face another 22 hours on a plane to return to everything I'd left I had prepared myself to tackle a barrage of questions to allow me to pass into a new country. I needn’t have worried.

It got better too, cos after I’d collected my baggage (which all arrived in one piece, all the way from England via Hong Kong an’ everything) I joined the customs queue where everyone’s bags were being searched under Australia’s overly strict importation rules, only to find myself herded straight out of it again and through a secret door which slid open x-factor-style and left me in front of a crowd of cheering aussies almost as delighted by my arrival as I was!

No comments: